Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Anyone knows any free C++ compiler for Linux?

I need a free C++ compiler for Linux. I've seen Intel's (too large file) and GCC (can't figure out what do, how to download etc). I'm a newbie, so I'd like a nice graphical interface too. I'm using MandrakeLinux 10.0, with KDE. And I'd like it if it was cross-platform, since I may have to work with it in school on Windows PCs. Long list I know, but please do tell me.

Anyone knows any free C++ compiler for Linux?
you can install GCC from your distribution cds just type the following command as root





urpmi gcc


for c compiler





OR





urpmi g++


for the c++ compiler





this commands works only in mandrake/mandriva.





for the graphical interface you can use kwrite which supports syntax highlighting. just save the file with the .cpp extension then from the command line type:





g++ file.cpp -o executable_name





where file is the name you saved the file with, and executable_name is the name you want for the program. for more details see gcc, g++ manual pages.





Another IDE for Linux is Anjuta (Seach for it). Eclipse is nice too.





And for the cross platform issue you can use MinGW with is the gcc compilers transported to be used for Windows OS. you can also try Dev-C++ which provides the previous compiler with a very nice graphical interface(Sites Below).
Reply:most linux distributions come with gcc and g++, which is the Gnu C++ compiler. Check out: http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc.html





If you want a free compiler for Windows, there are GCC ports available for teh cygwin environment (http://www.cygwin.com/).

elephant ear

No comments:

Post a Comment